Paperfluidics and Ph detectors

Not everybody has the chance do experiments. The vast majority of the time, complex lab materials are needed, and very few people get acces to that. But thanks to Ampli Science and the Ampli Kit, developed my MIT, I have had the chance to run experiments by myself.

Experiment 1: paperfluidics

The first experiment was just to see paperfluidics.

First of all, paperfluidics is a type of Chromatographic flow that follows shapes, such as channels and reservoirs, sometimes interrupted by reagents. I set up a two blocks and one bridge with glass fiber paper between them, so that the liquid could flow between the different pieces. Then, I put some water in the blue jar that comes in the Ampli Kit, which contained colorant, and in result, obtained blue water. Finally, with a pippete, I put some drops of it in the right port and observed how the water flowed.

The first experiment

Experiment 2: detectign PH levels

The second experiment had the goal to detect the ph of two different substances.

To better un derstand the experiment, Ph is a scale of acidity from 0 to 14 that tells how acidic or alkaline (basic) a substance is.

I assembled a completely different set up. It had a U shape and in the last row it had 3 ph detector papers, so that one could detect the ph of substance 1, another could detect the ph of substance 2, and the one in the middle could detect tha ph of the substances when they get mixed.

I put lemon juice in the top left port and sodium bicarbonate solution in the right top port and observed how the liquis flowed. After some time, the ph papers had changed colors: the one on the left (lemon juice) had turned a bright red, indicating that the substance was acidic; the one on the right (sodium bicarbonate solution) had turned a dark blue color, indicating that the substance was basic. Finally, the one in the middle had turned into the same colors, but in the part where the two substances mixed, it had changed into a green color, indicating that a neutralization reaction had happened.

To furthher explore the Ampli Kit, I “hacked” it and did the same ph experiment, but using normal printer paper instead of glass fiber paper. In the end, I saw that the liquid had flown, but not as efficiently as if I had used the glass fiber paper.

Crea tu sitio web con WordPress.com
Empieza ahora
A %d blogueros les gusta esto: